The Port of Milford Haven is Wales’ busiest port and a leading UK shipping gateway. A Trust Port with a duty to invest profit sustainably, the Port had an annual turnover of £22.1 million in 2018 and employs c. 170 people, The Port is widely recognised in the industry as the energy capital of the UK, handling c.20% of Britain’s seabourne trade in oil and gas and is the UK’s busiest port in terms of liquid bulk.
The Port operates Pembroke Port, home to South Wales’ busiest ferry terminal, handling thousands of tonnes of cargo and passengers moving between the UK and Ireland. It owns and operates Milford Fish Docks, Wales’ largest fishing port, and Milford Waterfront, a leisure facility that is continually evolving for boaters, shoppers and food lovers. The business also owns an extensive property portfolio around the port.
The Port is looking to further diversify its operations whilst ensuring that current services remain excellent. With the almost limitless resources of wave, tide and wind energy, the Port recognises the potential of the renewable energy sector, and as such, is working with a number of industry partners to deliver Pembroke Dock Marine, a world-class energy and engineering centre. The Port’s great electricity transmission infrastructure, oil and gas pipelines, and good road and rail links to the rest of the UK make it ideally placed to service an international market. The Port is committed to working with its supply chain to attract new business and it is boosting the retail, dining and leisure facilities at the Waterfront; cementing itself as a key contributor to Pembrokeshire’s tourist economy.
Guided by its core values of safety, collaboration and excellence, the Port has a clear strategy for its commercial operations and has created a new position of Commercial Director to drive forward its plans for growth and expansion.
This is a rare and excellent opportunity for a high performing Commercial Director with an opportunistic mindset to join a strategically and economically significant organisation to make a measurable impact to the activities of the Port and the prosperity of the Haven.
- Reporting to the CEO, you will lead the development of commercial strategies and oversee the delivery of commercial plans and projects including the Pembroke Dock Marine and the development of the retail, dining and leisure facilities at Milford Marina.
- You will develop a clear vision for the expansion of the Port’s activities, taking advantage of wave, tide and wind energy to recognise the potential of the renewable energy sector, electricity transmission infrastructure, oil and gas pipelines and good road and rail links to serve the UK and international markets.
- You will provide though leadership, formulating business strategy with the Board and Senior Management Team, turning vision into tangible commercial plans and objectives and then delivering those through an appropriate commercial structure with skilled, experienced staff.
- Leading commercial activities across the entire Port, you will create world-class structures, processes, systems and approaches to enhance capability and capacity to win new business and grow existing business streams and contracts (both long and short term) that align with the Port’s mission, purpose, values and its commitment to generating sustainable growth opportunities.
- Working corporately and across all divisions, you will play a key leadership role in supporting the Port’s culture change, delivery of revenue growth, customer satisfaction and successful fulfilment of key projects.
- A results focused, inspirational senior leader with experience gained in commercial roles in the maritime, infrastructure, transport, construction, utilities or the telecoms sectors, you will have significant relevant successful commercial B2B and B2C experience and a demonstrable track record of income generation and winning business; developing new opportunities from identification to new project handover.
- You will have proven experience of driving growth in commercial activities across the organisation and improving the customer experience. Highly skilled at forging long term partnerships and influencing, you will have demonstrable project management capabilities across all stages of contract negotiations and deal progression.
- Politically astute and operating with gravitas, you will have an opportunistic mindset and be able to apply commercial rigour whilst exercising sound judgement to contribute to the Port’s mission of building the prosperity of the Haven.
The deadline for this opportunity has now passed, but please contact the office on 02921 674 422 for further information.