Head of Operations
Cardiff City Transport Services Limited (Cardiff Bus) is a private company limited by shares and is wholly owned by Cardiff Council. Constituted as a municipal (Public Transport) company within the meaning of Section 72 of the Transport Act 1985, the main purpose of the Company is to carry out the business of a public transport company. Its turnover is £32 million, it has 700 employees and a fleet of 230 vehicles making c.22m passenger journeys per annum. Over the course of the next 5 years, the company is focusing on continually improving its financial standing, business processes, customer engagement, and the development of its workforce.
The Company is seeking to appoint an ambitious, people-focussed Head of Operations. This role initially is focussed at transforming the “driver” side of the business, enhancing employee performance and improving customer service delivery. Depending on this success, there is then the opportunity to take full responsibility for of all operations and join the Senior Leadership Team and Cardiff Bus Board as Service Delivery Director and report to the Managing Director.
• Reporting to the Commercial & Operations Director, you will be a proven leader with responsibility for the Operations and Performance department and the organisation's c.550 drivers with accountability for the planning, scheduling and operational performance of the organisation and its 230 buses.
• Through the Operations Management Team you will ensure effective driver performance excels, and that driver engagement is embedded through the entire team developing a culture of continuous improvement within all the key deliverables within the operation.
• You will contribute towards the delivery of the Company Business Plan and be responsible for the development of an annual Departmental Business Plan. You will agree on the Operations Department budget, ensure delivery against this, investigating and managing any variances.
• You will ensure all employees comply with health and safety, environmental and legislative requirements. You will make sure company policies, regulations and procedures are followed at all times and delivery of the service meets all legal requirements; including those set by the Traffic Commissioner, VOSA and any other relevant regulatory body.
• You will be an experienced operational leader within a fast moving, customer-focussed organisation with strong people management skills and ideally, experience of working with Trade Union partners.
• You will have a proven track record in delivery and succeeding service delivery requirements and the ability to identify and deliver operational improvements.
• A strong communicator, you will have of experience of building, delivering and maintaining conducive working relationships both internally and externally with the ability to provide clear and well-reasoned direction and solutions
• Experience of being accountable for significant operational cost budgets and managing KPIs.
• Ideally you will be a PVC licence holder, CPC Holder and member of the Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH)
For an informal discussion, please contact the Goodson Thomas Team on 029 2167 4422.
To apply, visit www.goodsonthomas.com/vacancies and submit your CV and cover letter using the reference number GT_0225_CC
All applications will be acknowledged.
Deadline Midday on Friday, 28th February 2020
Interviews: w/c 16th March 2020